Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Max Payne : Essentials

Introduction

I wanted to write something about Gaming, but dramatic. I remember from my old gaming days, two games specifically had hit me in my nuts. I absolutely went agape on the story and the presentation. These were Max Payne and Max Payne 2 : The Fall of Max Payne. Specially the second game left me craving for more. The story was beautifully presented and the noir style of presentation was unique and gripping. I played the games over and over again. It was like watching a movie. I even managed to get it included in a Literature course in my curriculum thanks to Dr. Suchitra Mathur (who was generous enough to understand and soak in the detective fiction aspect of it). The part of the game that I absolutely cherished was the dramatics. Everything in the game had a meaning and was touching in its entirety.

Now when I was over and done researching the game again and again for its social puns, humanitarian aspects, the trust factor and the twisted world that it created, I moved on with my life. Many other games came and went, none having an impact as deep as Max Payne did. The characters were true and justified. Driven by reason and emotion. I was thinking of the most dramatic moment in gaming history and all I could think of was Max Payne comes close to being shot in the back by Mona Sax. I then came to the conclusion that the game had been missing a lot of details. By details I imply the stories people need to know to bring out everything that the game wanted us to feel and even more. Hence I decided to commence this chain of Short Stories (my own) from the scenes in Max Payne. I chose to name the collection as Max Payne : Essentials. I hope you guys enjoy them and that they leaves a mark on your mind, standing true to its original inspiration - Max Payne. This construct is dedicated to none other than the love of my life ... Chara.

No comments: